|PLANTS AND POISON|
Houseplants have become one of the nation's leading substances ingested by children. The following information is designed to make you familiar with poisonous plants both indoors and out. If you do not find a particular plant on the lists below, contact the Poison Control System at 1-800-222-1222.
Never eat part of any plant or mushroom with which you are unfamiliar.
Teach children to never put leaves, bark, stems, seeds, nuts, or berries from plants into their mouths.
Learn to identify the names of all the plants in your home and yard in case you need to report a poisoning to the Poison Control Center.
If you do not know the name of a plant in your home or yard, have it identified at a landscape or gardening center.
Do not assume a plant is not poisonous because birds or other wildlife are eating it.
Do not assume that cooking destroys toxic chemicals in plants.
The following plants contain a wide variety of poisons, so symptoms can vary from a mild stomach irritation, rash, throat and mouth swelling to involvement of the kidneys, heart and other vital organs.
Angel Trumpet Tree
Apricot Pit Kernels
Betel Nut Palm
Creeping Charlie (Ground Ivy/glechoma hedercea)
Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane)
Ivy (Boston, English)
Jimson Weed (Thorn Apple)
Poppy (except Cal.)
The following plants are basically considered to be non-toxic, or safe and not poisonous. Eating or handling these plants generally does not cause symptoms. However, any plant can cause unexpected reactions in certain people.
Absynnian Sword Lily
Aspidistra (Cast Iron Plant)
Baby's Tears (Dermatitis)
Birds Nest Fern
Blood Leaf Plant
Cactus (certain varieties)
Creeping Jenny (Moneywort, Lysima)
Croton (house variety)
Dracaena (caution with pets)
Hen & Chicks
Lily (Day, Easter, Tiger)
Norfolk Island Pine
For additional general information write:
Minnesota Poison Control System
701 Park Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1829
If you have an emergency call: